A trip to Jon’s Market always results in a BBQ chicken (because they have the best) and a baguette. Today we also were able to get heirloom tomatoes for a ridiculous $1.50 per pound: cheaper than regular! We added some grated carrot and watercress for a more interesting sandwich.
- The chicken is $6.99 and we shared a breast or 88c per serve
- Three heirloom tomatoes were $2.87 and we shared half of one, or 48c per serve
- Watercress was 79c for the bunch and we used 1/4 or 10c per serve
- The baguette is $2.79 and we shared half for lunch, or 70c per serve
- Add 10c for grated carrot
- Add 20c for mayo.
The basic sandwich is a favorite and the extra ingredients added a little more depth for $2.46 per serve.
Massaman Curry is a staple in cold weather because it is so rich and filling. Tonight we dropped the potato from the recipe and served without rice, as we had fresh baguette to dip in the delicious broth!
Beef Sirloin steak still in the freezer from our meat delivery and while beef massaman curry isn’t a conventional use, it works well. We use a curry base we buy from Amazon for this simple, quick meal for two.
- The top sirloin steak was $13.43 or $6.72 per serve
- The curry is $3.38 per can or $1.69 per serve
- Coconut milk is $1.69 per can or 85c per serve
- Peanuts were $2.99 but we only used half, or 75c per serve
- Peal onion adds 20c per serve
- Carrots add 15c per serve
- The baguette is $2.79 and we shared half for lunch, or 70c per serve.
Tonight’s dinner was $11.06 per serve and very tasty, as always.