Now that the ham is gone, it’s on to finding new lunch ideas. Today we took Trader Joe’s Gyro slices, heated them in the panini press and combined with hummus and tabouli on a wholemeal wrap. Yum.
- The fully cooked sliced gyro/yeros meat is $3.99 per 10oz pack. There are really four serves, so $1.00 per serve.
- The flatbread is 50c per serve
- Hummus is $3.99 per container and we used about 1/6 or 33c per serve
- We served 1/2 of the tabouli salad or 67c per serve.
Lunch today was tasty, filling and only $2.50 per serve.
A long time favorite has been a salmon chowder, but tonight we tried a smokey fish version using smoked trout, that we now think is better than the salmon version!
We prepared half the recipe so we used both serves tonight.
- The rainbow trout fillets are $7.49 or $3.75 per serve
- Three slices of bacon are $$2.05 or $1.03 per serve
- Onion, leek and celery add 35c per serve
- The clam juice was $3.39 and we used ⅓ or 57c per serve
- The organic red potatoes were $1.25 or 63c per serve
- Heavy cream was $1.79 and we used half or 45c per serve.
We really liked this chowder. The smoked trout carries more flavor than salmon or canned fish and made a great meal for $6.78. Foodie Philip added a rustic roll for 63c more, but it was really too much and unnecessary.