A ripe avocado has to be eaten almost immediately so we decided to mix with some boneless, skinless sardines and sprinkle heavily with chili lime seasoning before toasting.
- Two slices of bread are 32c per serve
- The avocado was 89c or 45c per serve
- The sardines are $1.99 a can or $1.00 per serve
- Add 35c for butter and chili lime.
Without the chili lime ‘salt’ this would have been very boring, but the hint of acid works well, creating a decent sandwich for $2.12 per serve.
We had some pork cutlets in our Prather Ranch meat box, so we decided on a stir fry with eggplant, bell pepper, bok choy and a Trader Joe’s green chili simmer sauce.
The recipe was Foodie Greg’s invention and made four good serves.
- The pork was $15.53 or $3.88 per serve
- Bok Choy was $2.77 and we used 2/3 or 46c per serve
- The eggplant was $1.05, or 26c per serve
- The bell pepper was $1.25, or 32c per serve
- The simmer sauce was $1.99 or 50c per serve
- Add 33c for brown rice.
The simmer sauce was disappointing as it lacked any real spice or flavor, so overall the meal was okay, without being great, for $5.75 per serve. We’ve added some fish sauce to the remainder to amp up the flavor.