Lunch found us in the local Village as Foodie Philip’s Mom like to go there daily. Today we chose the local Indian takeout and had Beef Vindaloo, Beef Madras and Lamb Korma, with fresh baked – as in while we were waiting – naan.
It was all really tasty for Au$10.90 for each curry serve, and we shared the $3.50 naan: Au$12 .65 (US$9.49)per serve.
Because Lamb is more readily available in Australia, we chose some Lamb shoulder chops suitable for Braised Lamb Shoulder Chops with Tomatoes, Rosemary, and Olives. We shopped with a real butcher shop, not the meat counter!
- The shoulder chops were very reasonably priced at $10.80 or $3.60 per serve
- A jar of olives was $3.00 but we only used half, or 67c per serve
- Tomatoes paste cost 90c or 30c per serve
- A jar of dried thyme was $2.49 but we used only a fraction (instead of Rosemary) or about 10c per serve
- Cherry tomatoes were $3.00 or $1.00 per serve
- A pack of celery was $3.00 but we used ⅓ or 33c per serve
- Carrots cost 95c, or 32c per serve
- Add 25c for onion and seasonings.
The dish turned out really well, with a lot of flavor for Au$6.57 (US$5.00) per serve.