Today’s toasted sandwiches featured a Tuna and Sun Dried Tomato pack in a pseudo tuna melt, and pastrami and sauerkraut. Both were fine lunch choices.
- The pastrami was $11.99 for 16 oz and we used 3 oz across two sandwiches, or $1.13 per serve
- The tuna was $2.99 or $1.50 per serve
- Sprouted Rye bread is 32c per serve
- Swiss slices are 12 for $3.99 or 33c per serve
- The Bubbies (natural) Sauerkraut is expensive at $6.99 or 22c per serve, but it is a very superior sauerkraut without the bad odor of most sauerkraut
- Add 45c for butter and garlic dip.
Lunch today cost $3.95 per serve.
One of our culinary challenges is how to creatively use ground pork. We usually get one (or two) pounds of ground pork in our Keller Crafted meat box, but we don’t want to cook the same food all the time. So, tonight we tried Vietnamese Caramelized Pork Bowls.
We cut the sugar back from five, to two tablespoons.
- The ground pork was $8.35 and we’ll get four serves from that, or $2.09 per serve
- Add 50c for ginger, onion, garlic and chili, etc
- Add 33c for brown rice
- Bean sprouts were $1.49 but we used only ⅓ or 20c per serve
- The cucumber was 27c or 14c per serve
- We purchased shredded red cabbage for $1.49 and used half, or 38c per serve.
The caramelized pork had great flavor and was nicely offset by the fresh ingredients in the bowl. Plus we have ground pork for sandwiches. A good meal for $3.64 per serve.