February is soup and stew weather, as you can probably tell. As it was particularly cold today (for Souther California) we heated some of the remaining split pea soup, and served with a baked rustic panini roll.
The soup cost 43c per serve, and with the roll, $1.06 per serve.
A Cottage Pie – the beef version of a Shepherd’s Pie – is a warm, filling dish, but it sure makes a lot of dirty dishes! We get four serves from the ‘pie.’
- The ground beef is $10.16 or $2.54 per serve
- The potatoes were $2.20 or 55c per serve
- Add 35c for carrot, onion and celery
- Beef stock is $1.99 but we used ¼ or 13c per serve
- Add 20c per serve for butter
- Add 30c per serve for flour and seasonings.
It was definitely warming and filling for $4.07 per serve.