For lunch we had a ripe avocado so we had to do something right then! So we paired it with a can of Smoked Trout in a toasted sandwich.
- The smoked trout is $3.49 per can or $1.75 per serve
- Sprouted Rye bread is 32c per serve
- Two avocados were $1.98 but we shared one, or 50c per serve
- Add 30c for butter.
A good sandwich for $2.87 per serve.
Although it’s officially “meatless Monday” we’re just catching up with “fishy Friday!” Tonight’s Chorizo Stuffed Braised Squid was originally scheduled for last Friday, but was definitely worth the wait. We got three serves from this recipe3
- The soy chorizo is $2.29 at Trader Joe’s and we used half, or 58c per serve
- The squid was $4.14 or $1.38 per serve
- Wine adds 70c per serve
- Stock adds 34c per serve
- A can of tomatoes is 99c or 33c per serve
- We crumbed a slice of bread for 16c or 5c per serve
- Add 30c for onion and seasoning
- Add 18c for farro and peas.
We were impressed with this dish. The squid cooked beautifully and the chorizo stuffing was very tasty. Because we had such small squid it was a chore to stuff them, so we will likely modify the technique in the future. An excellent meal for $3.86 per serve.