Since we have so much ham, we riffed on a Reuben by substituting ham for pastrami and mustard for Russian dressing.
- The ham $1.02 per serve and we shared a serve or 51c per serve
- Sprouted rye bread is 32c per serve
- Swiss slices are 12 for $3.99 or 34c per serve
- The Bubbies (natural) Sauerkraut is expensive at $6.99 or 22c per serve, but it is a very superior sauerkraut without the bad odor of most sauerkraut
- Add 40c for butter and mustard.
Ham makes a fine substitute for pastrami, although this is its own quite good flavor combination for $1.79 per serve.
For out “meatless Mondays” we are exploring meat substitutes like Trader Joe’s Chickenless Mandarin Chicken Morsels, which we served with an Asian style Stir Fried Bok Choy.
- The meatless morsels were $3.29 or $1.65 per serve
- The bok choy was $1.10 and we used half, or 28c per serve
- Add 30c for dressing ingredients.
We were not impressed with the Mandarin Chicken Morsels, not because if wasn’t real meat, but because the breading stuck and added no flavor, we won’t be buying them again. There are other meat alternatives to explore. Still this wasn’t a terrible meal for $2.23 per serve.