Being a Sunday lunch, we put in a little more effort and did Giant Baked Beans, Fried Eggs and Bacon and a slice of toast.
- 1.5 eggs per serve (average) costs 77c per serve
- The bread is 16c
- Add 20c for butter
- The baked beans work out at $1.00 per serve
- Bacon was $4.99 for 16 slices and we had an average of 1.5 each, or 47c per serve.
A varied and tasty lunch for $2.53 per serve.
A Sunday Pot Roast is almost a tradition, and since we had a 2 lb Chuck Roast in our meat box we decided to try a new recipe: Bruce Aidells’ Pot-Roasted Grass-Fed Beef Chuck with Winter Root Vegetables instead of the Pioneer Woman recipe we’ve used in the past.
- The roast was $20.48 or $5.12 per serve
- Bacon ends cost $4.99 for the container, but this recipe used about 1/4 of that, or 32c per serve
- Red wine adds $1.00 or 25c per serve
- Onions and garlic add 15c per serve
- Parsnips were $1.05 or 25c per serve
- Rutabaga were $1.47 or 37c per serve
- Carrots were $3.99 and we used half or $1.00 per serve.
This was a much more flavorsome pot roast than we’ve done before for $7.46 per serve.