Back to basic sandwiches today, but with great cheddar and a good kumato, the basics can still taste very good.
- Trader Joe’s Multigrain Bread is $2.99 for 18 slices or 33c per serve
- Five Kumato were $3.49 and we shared one, or 35c per serve
- The Old Crock cheddar was $5.45 or $1.02 per serve
- Add 20c for garlic spread.
Classics are classic for a reason: when done well they are great. This one was a great sandwich for $1.90 per serve.
For Fishy Friday this week we hot smoked some defrosted cod, chopped some endive topped with pickled onion, and served on a bed of black rice.
- The cod fillets were six for $12.99 or $2.17 per serve
- The endive were three for $2.89 and we used one each, or 97c per serve
- Pickled onion adds 10c per serve
- Black rice adds 44c per serve.
The cod took up a good amount of smoke flavor during cooking, which contrasted nicely with the somewhat bitter endive. In turn that bitterness was balanced by the pickled onion to create a well rounded dish for $3.68 per serve.