On our irregular trips to Jons we always come back with a Roast Chicken and fresh baguette. Today we also picked up a Heirloom Tomato.
- The Baguette is $2.79 but we shared half for lunch, or 70c per serve
- The Heirloom Tomato was $1.70 and we used half today, or 43c per serve
- The Chicken was $6.99 and we shared ¼ or 88c per serve
- Add 20c for garlic spread.
As always great ingredients make simple food, great food for $2.21 per serve.
A new recipe for “Fishy Friday:” Mussels in Spicy Tomato Broth using prepackaged cooked Mussels from Ralph’s.
- The Mussels were $2.99 or $1.50 per serve
- Canned Fire Roasted Tomatoes we’re $3.99 or $2.00 per serve
- Celery Hearts were $1.99, but we used ¼ of the packet or 25c per serve
- Add 40c per serve for butter
- Add 50c for Sherry (for Mirin), garlic and ginger
- The rest of the Baguette was 70c per serve
- The Garlic Spread adds 40c per serve.
This turned out really well. The broth had a deep rich, slightly Asian, flavor and the toasted Baguette with Garlic Spread was a revelation! So good. At $5.75 we’ll have this again.