Foodie Greg picked up so frozen meals at Trader Joe’s and shared a Chicken Pot Pie after some Philly Cheesesteak Bao Buns as an appetizer.
- The Chicken Pot Pie was $3.99 or $2.00 per serve
- The Bao Buns were $3.49 or $1.75 per serve.
The Bao Buns were a little odd. The first bite had a distinct Philly Cheesesteak flavor, but it seemed to peter out after that, and eat a little bland. The Chicken Pot Pie was more potato than chicken, but had decent flavor. Convenient, but a little disappointing for $3.75 per serve.
Since we discovered that Whole Foods has a consistent supply of frozen Duck Breast, and have a fool-proof cooking method using souse vidé to get the perfect done-ness, follow by a heavy fry on the fat side, we decided to make it a regular.
Tonight we served with Swiss Chard wilted in the Duck Fat, along with a Farrow and Pomegranate Seed Salad.
- The Duck Breasts were $15.35 or $7.68 per serve
- The Swiss Chard was $2.49 and we used half, or 63c per serve
- The farrow was $1.79 for the pack, but we shared ⅓ or 30c per serve
- The Pomegranate Arils (seeds) were $4.99 and we used about ⅓ or 83c per serve
- Add 30c for Pomegranate Molasses (not pictured.
The Duck was perfectly cooked, with well rendered fat and great flavor, balanced by some great sides for $9.74 per serve.