We put together a rather odd sandwich today: Bacon and Guacamole! We fried the bacon and spread both slices if bread with Guacamole.
- The Guacamole was $4.49 or $2.25 per serve
- Bacon is $4.99 for the pack of 12 slices, and we used half, or $1.25 per serve.
While the sandwich was good for $3.50 per serve, we felt that cutting back on the Guacamole and spreading one slice of bread with Garlic Spread, and adding a leafy green, would have made this even better.
Foodie Greg found an intriguing recipe for ‘Meatless Monday’ this week: Creamy Corn and Soy Chorizo. We substituted White Beans for the Potato, because it’s a Chili, not a Chowder! We also went for ¾ cup of Crema and no milk.
The recipe makes at least four serves.
- Soy Chorizo is $2.29 or 58c per serve
- A can of White Beans is 99c or 25c per serve
- Bone Broth is $2.99 or 75c per serve
- Crema was $3.49 and we used about half between the Chili and garnish, for 88c per serve
- Onion adds 10c per serve
- Celery adds 10c per serve
- Carrot adds 13c per serve
- Other ingredients add 10c per serve.
We were pleasantly surprised at how good this was. It had a good depth of flavor, a little spice from the Chorizo, but balanced with a rich mouth feel from the Crema. Not just a good meatless meal, but a good Chili for $2.89 per serve.