For a change from sandwiches, we piled Sauerkraut, sliced Ham and Swiss Cheese on a Brioche Bagel.
- The Brioche Bagels are $2.89 for five, or 58c per serve
- Swiss adds 34c per serve
- Black Forest Ham is $3.29 per pack, or 55c per serve
- The Artisanal Kraut is $3.29 per packet and we used about ⅛, or 21c per serve
- Add 40c for Garlic Spread.
A filling Bagel for $2.08 per serve.
We decided on an experiment the Soutzoukakia recipe, but form and cook them as if they were Australian Rissoles. Normally cooked in the pressure cooker, the Soutzoukakia is soft and has a mousse like texture. We expected that to firm up with the griddle cook.
- Ground lamb was $5.99 or $2.00 per serve on special at Aldi
- An egg is 51c or 17c per serve
- 8 oz Panko breadcrumbs are $2.99 and we used half, or 25c per serve
- Cotija cheese, substituting for Parmesan is $3.99 for 8oz and we shared 2 oz or 50c per serve
- 1/4 cup and a tablespoon of red wine – halved – is 34c per serve
- Canned crushed tomatoes were $1.25 for the can, or 42c per serve
- Onions, shallot and garlic adds 25c per serve
- Parsley was $1.49 for the bunch, but we only used 1/4 or 13c per serve
- Fresh mint came from our garden
- The French (Valbreso) Feta was $10.99 but we used 1/6 or 92c per serve
- Pomegranate Seeds were $4.49 and we used about half, or $1.13 per serve
- Baby Bell Peppers add 32c per serve
- Spinach adds 33c per serve
- Add 30c for Dressing ingredients.
We were very surprised to find the Lamb Rissoles had the same texture as they do when cooked in the pressure cooker! They had the same mousse like texture. An excellent meal for $7.06 per serve.