We decided to make Netherlands style Pannenkoek, which largely means cooking your “topping” in the pan before layering on the Pancake Mix. We chose a high Protein Pancake Mix. We topped with Fried Eggs, which is not traditional.
- Pancake Mix was $2.99 and we shared half, or 75c per serve
- Uncured Bacon was $5.99 for 10 slices, and we had two each, or $1.20 per serve
- Eggs average 72c per serve.
We know to make the mix a little looser next time, and the slight sweetness of the Pancake mix wasn’t the perfect match, but it was a good first attempt that we will improve on, for $2.67 per serve.
As we were able to get a Pomegranate we revisited the Shredded Lamb Salad, squeezed in the Pomegranate Juice, topped with the Arils, and served with Dolmas, Caramelized Onion Hummus and a Salad of Lettuce, semi-dried Tomatoes, Feta and Preserved Lemon.
- The butterflied Leg of Lamb from Aldi was $23.28 and we will get eight serves, or $2.91 per serve
- Mint and Preserved Lemon were free
- Add 30c for Onion and seasoning
- We used semi-dried Cherry Tomatoes for 30c per serve
- The Mixed Greens were $1.49 and we used half, or 38c each
- The Feta adds 48c per serve
- Add 15c for Dressing ingredients
- Dolmas from Whole Foods were $3.41 (on special) or $1.13 per serve
- Add 46c for Hummus.
Having experimented with alternatives, our consensus is that a fresh Pomegranate is essential for this dish. If you don’t have one, don’t do the Salad! An excellent meal for $6.41 per serve.