On a cool, gray day we cooked two Whole Food’s Chicken Pot Pies for $2.79 per serve (after all discounts).
Fishy Friday is a return to Smoked Trout Chowder, which makes four serves.
- The Smoked Trout was $13.99, or $3.50 per serve
- Potatoes add 34c per serve
- Garlic and Scallions add 15c per serve
- Chicken Bone Broth adds 50c per serve
- Wine adds 13c per serve
- Grass fed Half & Half is $3.79 per pint and we used ¼, or 24c per serve
- Add 20c for other soup ingredients
- Italian Bread adds 22c per serve
- Butter adds 35c per serve.
The Whole Foods Smoked Trout was nearly double the price of that from Trader Joe’s, but it was noticeably more moist and had more flavor. We broke with the recipe and added the Trout early in the cooking so the flavor permeated the soup. A very good meal with some toasted and buttered Italian Bread, for $5.63 per serve.