In between trying to get some work done around the house, we had a side trip to Lowes, so on the way back we tried some local Indian takeout.
Generous serves of chicken tikka masala, Baingan Bharta, garlic naan and rice with peas (peas pull0).
With tax the total was $26.12, but we only finished the naan ($3.26) over two serves. The rest made up four serves for $5.71 a serve. Add half the naan to each serve, and lunch today cost $7.34 a serve.
Another favorite makes a return appearance: Pioneer Woman’s Sausage, Potato and Kale soup. According to Pioneer Woman:
This is a make-at-home version of Olive Garden’s “Zuppa Toscana.”
It’s a generous recipe making at least six serves. For the protein we used ground pork from our monthly Prather Ranch delivery. Greg also uses half chicken stock and half ‘half-n-half’ instead of the more dairy focused version in the recipe.
- 1lb Prather Ranch ground pork was $8.55 or $1.43 a serve
- Chicken broth $1.99 or 33c per serve
- Kale cost $1.99 for the bunch or 33c per serve
- Tomatoes were $2.19 as weighed or 37c per serve
- Half and half was $1.45 or 24c per serve
- Roast garlic bread (five serves) was $2.50 or 50c per serve
- Potatoes $2.40 or 40c per serve
- Add 10c per serve for herbs and seasonings.
Tonight’s dinner cost $3.70 per serve. It’s an excellent soup and well worth the effort.