Foreboding rain and a relatively cold day had us turning to Trader Joe’s Steak and Ale pies for lunch.
- The two pack is $6.49 or $3.25 per serve.
A hearty soup was what the weather indicated, so we decided on Mushroom Barley soup. We made a half batch and used all crimini mushrooms for four serves.
- Sliced crimini mushrooms $2.29 for the bag, or 58c per serve
- Onion and garlic around 15c per serve
- Celery is $2.29 a bunch or around 15c per serve
- Carrots we 69c for the bunch, or 9c per serve
- The bunch of parsley was $1.19, but only half was used, or 15c per serve
- The pearl barley is $4.89 for a 28 oz bag, or 61c per serve
- Dry vermouth instead of sherry works out at 17c per serve
- The carton of beef broth was $2.49 or 63c per serve
- We served with a par-baked roast garlic bread at $2.50 for the loaf, or 63c per serve
Dinner tonight cost $3.01 per serve including the bread.