We were out and about during the late morning and lunch, so we stopped in at Popeye’s on the way home for some dark and spicy fried chicken, with red beans and rice on the side.
- Eight pieces of chicken were $9.99, but that makes four serves in all, making each serve $2.50
- The large Red beans and rice was $3.99 and we shared that for $2 a serve.
Lunch was $4.50 a serve.
We still had Pork Spare Ribs from our Prather Ranch meat delivery, so what better to do on a Sunday night than to smoke them and serve with a green apple slaw? The green apple slaw is a basic coleslaw with green apple added, for extra crunch and a counterpoint to the sweetness of the BBQ sauce. Instead of making a sauce we chose Trader Joe’s Organic Sriracha & Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce. This stuff is really good!
We pre-cooked the ribs in the pressure cooker then smoked them in the stovetop smoker to finish them.
The apple slaw dressing was made with a little egg free mayonnaise, sour cream and apple cider vinegar. We thought we were making slaw for tonight, but there are really four serves from one half pack.
- 1.7lb of Pork Spare Ribs cost $10.64, but the actual meat serve is more like 6oz per serve, or $5.32 per serve
- Trader Joes’s BBQ Rub and seasoning (coffee and garlic): about 25c per serve
- One Granny Smith apple went into the slaw, or 20c per serve
- Coleslaw mix from the supermarket is $1.25 but we used less than half, or 16c per serve
- Add 6c for the dressing per serve
- We used about 1/8 of the $2.99 bottle, or 19c per serve.
Dinner tonight cost $6.18 per serve.