We decided to get take-out as part of a supermarket trip, and picked Carnitas Michoacan which we’ve been happy with before.
The carnitas burrito is $5.50 with tax per serve.
A slightly cooler evening made a big pot of chili attractive. The bacon, black bean and beef chili is great. Add the “fixins” and it’s really good. We may get in a fight with Texans over adding beans, but we think they’re an enhancement to the flavor and texture.
This recipe makes five serves.
- Bacon ends cost $4.99 for the container, but this recipe used about 1/2 of that, or 50c per serve
- Onion and garlic – about 5c a serve
- The beef we used is expensive – pasture raised, dry aged ground beef from our monthly meat delivery – at $9.08 or $1.82 a serve
- Spices – about 12c a serve
- Diced fire roasted tomatoes are $2.19 the can, or 44c per serve
- Tomato paste was 89c or 18c a serve
- The beans were 99c a can, or 20c a serve
- Each serve got half an Avocado or 84c per serve
- Cheese was 55c per serve
- Sour cream cost $3.99 but we used 1/4 on tonight’s meal, or 50c per serve.
All up dinner cost us $5.20 for a very filling serve.