We opted to buy in lunch so we hopped down to our favorite Mexican place Carnitas Michoacan for a pair of burritos: chicken for Foodie Greg; Asada for Foodie Philip.
Lunch cost $5.50 per serve with tax.
The best way to enjoy sauerkraut is definitely in a Choucroute Garnie: sauerkraut, potatoes, carrot slow simmered with your choice of porky products. We paired it with Trader Joe’s Oktoberfest Bratwurst.
We have a lot of choucroute left, as the recipe makes four portions.
- The bratwurst are $3.49 for the pack, or $1.75 per serve
- The sauerkraut is $2.99 a pack or 75c per serve
- The carrots were 50c or 13c per serve
- Potatoes add 53c per serve
- The onion, garlic, bay leaf and juniper berries add another 26c per serve
- White wine adds another 54c per serve.
Dinner tonight was tasty, warming and filling for just $3.96 per serve.