We were going shopping anyway, so we hopped down to our favorite Mexican place Carnitas Michoacan for a pair of asada burritos.
Lunch cost $5.50 per serve with tax.
We decided to revisit a recipe we’d tried and enjoyed over a year ago: Quinoa Chowder with Spinach, Feta, and Scallions. It’s a meat free dish, which balances out the burrito! The recipe makes three serves
- We purchased about half a pound of quinoa for $3.01 but used the 3/4 left, or 75c per serve
- Pastured eggs are 50c each
- The russet potatoes were 80c for the bag, but we used only 1/4 or 7c per serve
- We put in the full 7oz block of feta, which cost $8.99 or $3.00 per serve
- The arugula was $2.29 for the pack, but we used 1/3 or 25c per serve
- Add 30c per serve for spring onions, spices.
This is a rather good soup and one we’ll be repeating for $4.87. You can get cheaper domestic feta, but French feta is definitely superior.