Chicken wrap time today so Foodie Greg picked up a supermarket roast chicken. There was a cold chicken from the day before for just $4.00 instead of the usual $9.99.
- The flatbread is 50c per serve
- The roast chicken is $4.00 for the bird, but we used .75 of a breast, or 34c per serve
- Deli rice salad salad is $2.22 or 56c per serve
- Hummus is $3.99 per container and we used about 1/6 or 33c per serve
Lunch today cost $1.73 per serve.
The non-breast remainder of the chicken went into a pot to simmer for a couple of hours to form the foundation of a chicken coconut curry soup. The chicken is removed from the liquid, shredded and added back to the final soup.
This is, literally, chicken noodle soup, although with an Asian influence.
This recipe as we made it with less chicken makes four serves, but we felt it was a little bland. Chicken broth was not necessary as the water from the simmer created its own stock.
- The chicken cost $2.00 or 50c per serve
- The coconut milk is $1.49 or 38c per serve
- Baby kale cost $2.99 or 75c per serve
- The vermicelli works out at about 30c per serve
- The spices, ginger and garlic was 38c or 10c per serve.
The soup was nice, but a little bland for out tastes, but only $2.03 per serve.