A cold and somewhat windy day so we went for a soup option: Progresso Manhattan Island Clam Chowder – a clam chowder without dairy. This is a simple ‘heat and serve’ soup without adding water or dairy.
One $2.00 can makes one serve.
A nice warming beef beef massaman curry seemed appropriate and we used for the cold evening, and to use beef chuck eye steak from our Prather Ranch meat bounty! While this would normally be done with stewing meat we sliced the raw beef and gently simmered it to temperature in the curry at the end.
Beef massaman is warming without being too spicy. We use a curry base we buy from Amazon for this simple, quick meal.
- 19 oz of aged chuck eye steak was $11.33 or $5.67 per serve
- The curry is $3.38 per can or $1.69 per serve
- Coconut milk is $1.69 per can or 85c per serve
- Peanuts were $2.99 but we only used half, or 75c per serve
- Potato adds 25c per serve
- The bunch of carrots was 89c but we used half in this dish, or 23c per serve.
Dinner tonight was perfect for the weather: delicious and warming but a little expensive at $9.45.