Since we were nearby we stopped in at our new favorite take-out shop: Skewers Halal. Philip had the beef wrap; Greg the chicken. These are like a gyro/yeros but in a naan bread split open (pita pocket style) and both were delicious.
Today’s pockets were $9.60 each with tax.
Greg has been wanting to try this for some time and tonight was the night for Soutzoukakia, which are Greek meatballs! Authentically they’d be lamb, but we found a recipe that matched the ground beef we had in the freezer.
We made a half batch based on the 1lb of beef that we had (and were only serving two people).
- Dry aged 85/15 ground beef $8.69 or $4.35 per serve
- An egg is 50c or 25c per serve
- 8 oz Panko breadcrumbs are $2.99 and we used half, or 67c per serve
- Shaved Parmesan blend cost $2.99 but we used about 1/8 for this salad, or 19c per serve
- 1/4 cup and a tablespoon of red wine – halved – is 51c per serve
- Canned crushed tomatoes were $1.25 for the can, or 63c per serve
- Onions, shallot and garlic adds 35c per serve
- Parsley was $1.49 for the bunch, but we only used 1/4 or 19c per serve
- Fresh mint came from our garden
- Tomato paste comes in a 90c can, but we used 1/8 or 5c per serve
- Add 40c for the spices
- Rice adds 50c per serve
- The cucumber for the salad was 46c or 23c per serve
- The olives add another 40c per serve
- Add 30c per serve for lemon.
Dinner tonight was excellent and cost $8.95. We’ll be repeating this one regularly as another use for our monthly ground beef delivery.