As we had to drop off a package near The Country Deli, we stopped there for lunch. Foodie Philip had his usual (excellent) marinated skirt steak, eggs and home fries, while Foodie Greg had a Pastrami on Rye. Lunch today averaged $23.21 per serve.
A new recipe for us, fattoush is a middle eastern bread salad, somewhat similar in concept to a panzanella salad. The recipe has conflicting instructions on preparing the pita, with the version that cuts into pieces before going into the over seemed to be the more successful as they were crunchy not chewy.
We used the tomato/cucumber salad from last night as the basis (as we couldn’t find suitable tomatoes while shopping.
- A Persian cucumber is $1.03 or 51c per serve
- Tomatoes were $1.13 or 28c per serve
- The pita are $1.99 for a pack of six, or 35c per serve
- Radishes were 99c or 50c per serve
- Mint came from our garden
- Add 35c per serve for seasoning and juice.
Dinner tonight was an okay salad for $1.99 per serve