You can’t make just one sardine and avocado sandwich, so we each had one.
- An avocado is $1.49 or 75c per serve
- Lightly smoked sardines in olive oil are $1.69 per can, or 85c per serve
- Two slices of bread are 39c.
Lunch today was pretty good – it’s an Alton Brown favorite – for $1.99 per serve.
Yesterday we took a pack of Cross Rib Steak (from Prather Ranch) and marinated it over night and through the day. It was then cut, speared on skewers and perfectly grilled.
Served with a spicy Thai peanut sauce, Vietnamese Salad and rice noodles, it turned out to be a really good combination.
- The cross rib steak was $6.02 or $3.01 per serve
- The shredded green cabbage was 42c for the pack, or 14c per serve
- The ingredients for the sauce add another 35c per serve
- Mint cost 50c and we used half, or 8c per serve
- The bunch of carrots was 89c but we used half in this dish, or 15c per serve
- The limes for the dressing were 19c each (bargain) and we used four, but only about half the juice was used – 13c per serve
- The peanut butter was $3.99 and we used about 1/4 in the recipe or 50c a serve
- Add 40c for the spices in the sauce per serve
- Rice noodles are $3.56 per 14oz box, we used about 1/2 of the box, or 90c per serve.
The peanut sauce oozed down into the noodles to make a tasty mouthful. The spiciness of the peanut sauce was a great complement to the beef, while the crisp, wet salad helped keep all in balance for $5.66 per serve.