For lunch we shared a tomato and mayo sandwich and a turkey breast, and a kale salad and spicy labné sandwich. Both were good, but with a really good tomato from Jon’s it edged out the other.
- The heirloom tomatoes were $5.07 for two, and we used half a tomato, or 63c per serve
- Add 30c for the spicy labné and mayo
- Two slices of bread are 32c per serve
- The salad kit came from Ralph’s (Kroger) was $2.99 and the remaining serve will do a couple of lunches, or 13c per serve
- The turkey breast was $2.99 and we used 1/3 or 50c per serve.
Lunch today was an interesting mix of sandwiches for $1.88 per serve.
We picked up some corned beef at Jon’s in order to create this Reuben casserole, which makes six generous serves.
- Six slices of rye bread are roughly half the $1.99 loaf, or 17c per serve
- The 2+ lbs of corned beef was $13.55 but we used about 1/4 for tonight’s dish, or 56c per serve
- Trader Joe’s have a Sauerkraut with Persian Cucumbers which combines two ingredients for $3.99 a jar, or 67c per serve.
- Packaged, shredded Swiss & Gryere $4.99 or 83c per serve. Although we used the full packet, it was probably closer to three cups than four.
- A pint of half and half is $1.49 and half was used or 13c per serve.
- Organic eggs are 50c each or 25c per serve.
- We skipped the caraway seeds for taste reasons but the mustard adds another 15c per serve.
Tonight’s delicious meal was $2.76 per serve.