When thinking about lunch we decided we had a hankering for a Bahn Mi from Pho Saigon 1, which we very much enjoyed for $8.50 with tax.
Loosely based on a Salade Niçoise, we repeated our smoked trout version, with more of the purple potatoes we’ve been enjoying lately. The purple potatoes have the softest flesh when cooked.
Foodie Greg used the oil from the trout to carry the smokey taste into the dressing, and, along with anchovy, give the dressing tremendous umami.
- The smoked trout is $3.49 per serve
- An egg is normally 55c but they are on special for 66c per serve
- The green beans were $2.99 but we used about half, or 75c per serve
- The cherry tomatoes were $3.49, but we used about half, or 88c per serve
- Potatoes add 30c per serve
- Add 35c per serve for the dressing ingredients.
Each time we have this I believe it to be the best nicoise salad we’ve ever had. The smoked trout costs about the same as good canned tuna but has a lot more flavor. Very good for $6.43 per serve.