Having explored it online, we decided to try frying off bacon in the panini press before adding it to sandwiches. It worked great on our bacon and tomato, and baked beans, cheese and bacon toasted sandwiches.
- Bacon is $5.49 for the pack of 8 slices and we used two, or 69c per serve
- Two slices of bread are 32c per serve
- 12 slices of yoghurt cheese are $4.79 and we shared one or 20c per serve
- Trader Joes Giant Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce cost $1.99 and we used half or 50c per serve
- Five kumato were $3.49 and we used one, or 35c per serve
- Butter adds 25c.
The bacon worked well and enhanced the sandwiches that cost $2.21 per serve.
We were going to cut the sirloin into pieces for satay skewers, but since it was split into two portions anyway, we grilled it as full size pieces and served with the satay sauce on a bed of black rice. We added a bok choy each for some green!
- The sirloin from our Prather Ranch meat box was $7.09 or $3.55 per serve
- The peanut butter was $3.99 and we used about 1/8, or 25c a serve
- Other seasonings in the satay sauce add 35c per serve
- The bok choy was $1.99 for four, or 50c per serve
- Black rice adds 40c per serve.
A really good meal for $5.05 per serve.