Because it was a gray, rainy day we put two Trader Joe’s Steak and Stout Pies in the oven, and heated some of the leftover Sweet Potato and Horseradish Mash.
- Trader Joe’s Steak and Stout pies are $6.49 for two or $3.25 per serve
- The Japanese sweet potato was $2.92, but we got five serves, one of which we shared today, or but we will get at least four serves, or 29c per serve.
Lunch today was satisfying for $3.54 per serve.
While we’ve cooked Rhode Island Clam Chowder, it was before we started this record, so it’s new to The semiSerious Foodies! A non-dairy alternative to traditional clam chowders, the dairy is replaced by gelatin to provide unctuousness. We also substituted clam juice for chicken stock, because we had it left over from the smoked trout chowder, and to amp up the seafood flavor.
- The clams were $5.24 or $2.62 per serve
- The bacon ends and pieces were $4.49 and we used about 1/5, or 45c per serve
- Onions, carrot, garlic, celery and herbs add 60c per serve
- Half a cup of dry white wine adds 25c per serve
- The clam juice was $3.39 and we used ⅓ or 57c per serve
- Potatoes were 61c, or 30c per serve
- Gelatin is $2.69 and we used 1/6 or 23c per serve.
The clam chowder was very, very good. Great mouth feel from the gelatin and a lot of flavor from the clams and clam juice, for $5.02 per serve.