We shared two sandwiches for lunch. The pastrami and tabouli (with garlic spread) was pretty good. The canned asparagus was attempting to reproduce a food memory from our younger days. The memory was definitely better!
- The pastrami was $12.73 for .98 lb and we used 2 oz, or 82c per serve
- Sprouted Rye bread is 32c per serve
- The Tabouli is $2.69 and we put about 2 oz on the sandwich, or 33c per serve
- The asparagus is $3.29 for the can, but we used only 1/5 or 33c per serve
- Swiss slices are 12 for $3.99 or 17c per serve
- Add 45c for butter and garlic dip.
Lunch today cost $2.42 per serve.
Once again our “Thursday night steak night” was our deconstructed satay: grilled top sirloin with satay sauce and a Vietnamese inspired slaw.
- The top sirloin from the Prather Ranch delivery was $12.47 or $6.24 per serve
- The peanut butter was $3.99 and we used about 1/8, or 25c a serve
- Other seasonings in the satay sauce add 35c per serve
- Two baby bok choy was 38c per serve
- Carrot adds 30c per serve
- Salad seasonings add 20c
- Mint came from our garden.
Even though thin, the steaks were perfectly cooked, the satay sauce bought umami, sour and salt to the party and the black rice was a nutty carrier for the other flavors. The Vietnamese/Thai inspired salad contrasted with a sharp sour, but fresh, bite and definitely benefited from the substitution of bok choy for cabbage. A good meal for $7.72 per serve.