After our power went out mid morning, we decided to make the best of it and head for Burbank and revisit one of our (former) favorites: Mama Hong’s, before going costume and clothes shopping at It’s a Wrap.
Foodie Philip had the grilled pork chop combo while Foodie Greg had Grilled pork on vermicelli and we shared an order of spring rolls. Combined it averaged to $17.64 per serve.
Power was not back on when we arrived home, and ominously we’d been warned that it probably wouldn’t be back for another 32 hours! Fortunately, less than 20 minutes later, it came back on and stayed on, so we were able to cook.
The extreme winds, and smoke from fires, had us both coughing, so what better than Côte d’Azur: the cure all soup with eggs and garlic.
Garlic and chicken stock thickened with egg yolks it tastes a lot more interesting than the picture above.
- Six pastured brown eggs are $3.30 or $1.65 per serve
- A whole head of garlic went into the soup: 50c or 25c per serve
- Organic chicken bone broth was $3.99 or $2.00 per serve
- Parmesan cost $5.49 and we used 3/5, or $1.65 per serve.
- Add 40c for herbs, oil and seasonings.
This is an amazingly delicious soup and cheaper than a trip to the doctor for $5.95 per serve.