Today we returned to some favorite toasted sandwiches: Pastrami, Swiss & Sauerkraut, and Sweet & Spicy Tuna with capers and Swiss.
- The tuna was $1.00 per serve
- Sprouted Rye bread is 32c per serve
- Swiss slices are 12 for $3.99 or 34c per serve
- The pastrami was $11.99 for 16 oz and we used 2 oz or 75c per serve
- The Bubbies (natural) Sauerkraut is expensive at $6.99 or 22c per serve, but it is a very superior sauerkraut without the bad odor of most sauerkraut
- Add 50c for butter, garlic spread and capers.
A pretty standard lunch for us for $3.13 per serve.
On our last trip to Jons Foodie Greg was lured in by the promise of lamb shanks on special. While they were on special they were huge, probably stretching the definition of ‘lamb’. Regardless we purchased one without really knowing what to do with it.
Nigella Lawson to the rescue with Warm Shredded Lamb Salad with Mint and Pomegranate. It needs to be warm because cold lamb fat isn’t great.
We served with the remaining Sweet Potato and Halloumi bake from a couple of days ago.
- The lamb was $8.70 or $4.35 per serve
- Shallots add 20c per serve
- Garlic adds 10c per serve
- Pomegranate seeds were $3.99 but we only used half, or $1.00 per serve
- Mint came from the garden
- Add 10c for seasoning
- The Sweet Potato Halloumi Bake is $1.34 per serve.
The lamb salad was spectacular. Meltingly smooth meat that was full of flavor. We opted for pomegranate seeds rather than a the fruit, which was a mistake. The juice from the pomegranate would have added a nice acid finish to the dish that it did need. Still, a spectacularly good meal for $7.09 per serve.