Caramelized onions and gruyere seemed like an elevated lunch choice, and it was very good indeed. Toasted until the gruyere was oozing it was a great balance with the sweetness of the onion.
- The gruyere was $8.99 and we shared a quarter, or $1.13 per serve
- The sprouted rye is 32c per serve
- The caramelized onion is 20c per serve
- Add 50c for butter and garlic spread.
Really good sandwich for $2.15 per serve.
We were hoping our friend Cirina would make it back to the West Coast so we could celebrate Christmas together, but it didn’t happen and we needed time to use the leftovers, so tonight we baked our ham and served it with Choucroute Garni (without potatoes).
- The ham was $15.76 for 10 lb of ham, and figuring 8oz for a serve and allowing for the bone, or 18 serves at 88c per serve, although tonight we had 1.5 serves each, or $1.32 per serve
- For onion in the garni we used caramelized onion at 7c per serve
- We picked up heirloom carrots in multiple colors for $2.49 or 83c per serve
- Bubbies sauerkraut was $7.39 or $2.47 per serve
- Add 30c for seasoning and mustard.
The pork turned out very well as did the choucroute, leading to a very enjoyable meal for $4.99 per serve.