At lunch we returned to a favorite sandwich: Turkey Breast and Swiss with apple sandwiched between.
- Sprouted rye bread is 32c per serve
- The turkey breast is $2.99 for 8 oz and two went on the sandwich, or 76c per serve
- Swiss slices are 12 for $3.99 or 34c per serve
- Add 30c for butter and mustard.
A decent toasted sandwich for $1.72 per serve.
In keeping with our trend toward a meatless meal on Monday evenings, we tried a new recipe: Stir Fried Farro with Garlicky Kale and Poached Egg. It was also our first time with farro, which is an ancient grain that’s coming back to popularity. We used Trader Joe’s 10 minute farro.
The farro was a success as was the garlic, but we found the stir fried kale to be less successful. The texture was quite unpleasant.
- The farro was $1.79 for the pack, but we shared ⅓ or 30c per serve
- Organic Kale was $1.99 or $1.00 per serve
- Garlic, seasoning and hot sauce add 30c per serve
- A pastured egg is 50c and we used three, or 75c per serve (average).
It wasn’t a bad meal for $2.35 per serve, but when we repeat it we will use another green.