For lunch we heated some par baked rustic panini rolls and stuffed them with reheated pulled pork.
- The pulled pork is $4.18 per serve and we shared a serve, or $2.09 per serve
- The roll is 63c.
The pulled pork in a hot, crunchy roll makes a perfect cold weather lunch for $2.72 per serve.
The only real positive about Winter are soups and stews! Foodie Greg found a new ‘creamy’ mushroom soup that seemed interesting, particularly since we still had farro on hand. The recipe makes six serves.
We had to substitute crimini mushrooms for wild, and our pancetta was more finely diced than the recipe called for, which turned out to be a positive. As it was the same size as the farro, which has a similar texture, the two became indistinguishable, giving the effect of a lot more meat.
- The farro was $1.79 for the pack, but we shared ⅓ or 10c per serve
- The pancetta was $3.29 or 55c per serve
- The mushrooms were 42c per serve
- Bone broth was $5.99 for two cartons, or $1.00 per serve
- Cream fraich was $3.79 and we used half, or 32c per serve
- Add 15c for onions and garlic
- Add 15c for celery and carrots
- Add 10c for sweet sherry
- Add 10c for butter
- Add 20c per serve for other seasonings.
This is a very good mushroom soup. The addition of the sherry/marsala (which would be better) at the end elevates the whole dish. The butter and cream fraiche brings the creamy texture without a lot of dairy. We were surprised how meaty this was, because of the interchangeability of the pancetta and farro. A really good soup for $3.17 per serve.