Today we each had a Tuna, Smokey Cheddar & Sprouts – for a little crunch – sandwiches.
- The Dave’s Killer Bread is 74c per serve
- Sprouts add 30c per serve
- We shared a $3.49 can of Smoked Trout, or $1.75 per serve
- Smokey Cheddar was $2.69 for 10 slices, or 54c for two slices
- Add 40c for Garlic Spread.
Again, a quite decent sandwich for $3.73 per serve.
Since we had some Ground Lamb we decided to revisit the Soutzoukakia served with Tabouleh. We only had Fire Roasted Tomatoes for the sauce as the Eggplant mix we would normally use was not available. Once again we got three serves from the recipe.
- Ground lamb was $9.99 or $3.33 per serve
- An egg is 51c or 17c per serve
- 8 oz Panko breadcrumbs are $2.99 and we used half, or 25c per serve
- Cotija cheese, substituting for Parmesan is $3.99 for 8oz and we shared 2 oz or 50c per serve
- 1/4 cup and a tablespoon of red wine – halved – is 34c per serve
- Canned crushed tomatoes were $1.25 for the can, or 42c per serve
- Onions, shallot and garlic adds 25c per serve
- Parsley was $1.49 for the bunch, but we only used 1/4 or 13c per serve
- Fresh mint came from our garden
- Tabouli costs $2.69 for 8 oz and we had 2 oz each, or 67c per serve.
The texture of the Soutzoukakia is soft and tender, more like a mousse than a meatball. The sauce was not as good as it would be with the Eggplant, Tomato and Onion mix, but was still tasty. A great meal for $5.81 per serve.